Laborer, R23, Creek Cleaning
Company: City of Laredo, TX
Posted on: June 24, 2022
Job Summary Performs routine manual labor work involved in the
maintenance of the city creeks, street paving and street
maintenance activities. Ensures that traffic is efficiently and
safely directed to the unloading areas, and that debris is placed
in accordance with local, state, and federal regulations. Job
Description KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES: * Knowledge of
machinery and equipment operation and maintenance.
* Knowledge of safety practices and requirements.
* Ability to perform routine maintenance of City Creeks and Right
* Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working
relationships with other employees and respond to general public
* Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships
* Ability to communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in
* Ability to project a positive and professional image of the City
* Ability to take and follow directions from supervisor.
* Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned
* Ability to perform strenuous and routine work.
* Ability to maintain good planning and organizational skills.
* Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good
* Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing in
the English language and orally in the Spanish language.
* Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and
* Ability to maintain good health and physical condition sufficient
to permit the full performance of the duties of the position.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT: Work is performed
inside and/or outside a stockroom or warehouse. Work may be exposed
to a variety of weather conditions and outdoor elements such as:
excessive dampness, chill, heat, humidity, intermittent noise, and
inclement cold weather. Work may be exposed to a variety of
environmental conditions, such as: unknown & dangerous conditions,
unusual environmental stress, contagious infectious disease,
irritating chemicals, life-threatening situations, dry atmosphere,
solvents, dirt, grease, oils, silica, asbestos, dust, constant
noise, pneumatic vibration, fumes, smoke, gases, radiant/electrical
energy, and slippery/uneven walking surfaces. Capable of working
closely with others or alone, working long or irregular working
hours, working shift work and/or weekends, working with protective
devices, working below ground, working on ladders or scaffolding,
working around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines
with moving parts and objects, working with hands in water, and
travel by car or van. Ability to operate a motor vehicle, office
equipment, and mechanical equipment; Work requires light to heavy
carrying and lifting (under 15 pounds up to 45 pounds and over),
straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual
simultaneous grasping, repeated bending, sitting, standing,
pushing, crouching, crawling, twisting, kneeling, stooping,
climbing stairs and ladders, walking, and reaching above shoulders.
Ability to see, write, read, count, identify shade of colors,
perceive depth, and hearing is needed to perform the essential
functions of this job. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES: *
Performs manual labor involved in street paving and street
maintenance activities; patches holes and repairs pot holes on
asphalt streets; assists in setting asphalt on streets; ensures
there are no bumps on streets; breaks cement when bumps exist and
on street drains with an air hammer.
* Mixes concrete and gives it form for sidewalks and streets.
* Performs ground grading work; shovels and rakes peaks; grades
area where concrete is poured.
* Cleans roads by picking up debris and tree limbs, etc.; maintains
storm sewers and sidewalks.
* Assists in repairing and cleaning storm drains.
* Responsible for traffic control at the working face or other
areas of the city.
* Performs ground maintenance by using weed eater, yard tools, and
* Cleans and maintains creeks and roads passage ways throughout the
city by picking up debris and tree limbs, etc.; maintains storms
sewers and sidewalks.
* Sets blocking rails along ditch side to avoid hazardous accidents
and serves as a spotter; directs traffic to allow crew members to
conduct their work.
* Assists in repairing and cleaning storm drains.
* Dispenses diesel into equipment.
* Cleans and maintains tools utilized.
* Assists in maintaining good communication between staff,
visitors, and other business contacts.
* Must follow all rules of telephone courtesy in all telephone
* Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business
* Performs other duties as assigned. Minimum Qualifications At
least eighteen (18) years of age. Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License* * If applicant holds an out-of-state
license, a State of Texas Driver License must be obtained prior to
employment. As part of the minimum requirements for all positions
with the City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified
school transcripts will be required from all applicants who are
offered employment. Effective February 24, 1997, all selected
applicants are required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to
employment. Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in
safety-sensitive functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug
and Alcohol Policy definition, shall be subject to random drug and
alcohol testing. A person with a disability who needs a reasonable
accommodation related to a selection process is requested to
contact the Human Resources Department at (956) 791-7482 two days
prior to the scheduled interview and/or test if applicable. "AN
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY COMPLIES
WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."
Keywords: City of Laredo, TX, Laredo , Laborer, R23, Creek Cleaning, Other , Laredo, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!