Please note that due to the recentCOVID-19impact, there may be
delays in the selection process.
Performs routine maintenance on utility equipment throughout the
City to ensure proper water and/or wastewater service to the
residents; repairs water and sewer lines and performs preventive
maintenance. Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of safety procedures.
- Knowledge of line maintenance.
- Knowledge of repair techniques for water lines, broken pipes,
sewer taps, and other related plumbing skills.
- Knowledge of water and wastewater machinery and equipment.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively and to handle
complex situations that arise from the citizens.
- Ability to make independent decisions in accordance with
established policies and procedures.
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational
- Ability to take and follow directions from supervisor.
- Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned
- Ability to perform strenuous and routine work.
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working
relationships with other employees and respond to general public
- Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing in the
English or Spanish language.
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the
City of Laredo.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition
sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside a stockroom or
warehouse. Work may be exposed to a variety of weather conditions
and outdoor elements, such as: excessive dampness, chill, heat,
humidity, intermittent noise, and inclement cold weather. Work may
be exposed to a variety of environmental conditions, such as:
unknown & dangerous conditions, unusual environmental stress,
contagious infectious disease, irritating chemicals,
life-threatening situations, dry atmosphere, dirt, dust, constant
noise, pneumatic vibration, fumes, smoke, gases, radiant/electrical
energy, and slippery/uneven walking surfaces. Capable of working
closely with others, working long or irregular working hours,
working shift work and/or weekends, working with protective
devices, working below ground, working on ladders or scaffolding,
working around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines
with moving parts and objects, and working with hands in water.
Ability to operate a motor vehicle, office equipment, and
mechanical equipment; Work requires light to heavy carrying and
lifting (under 15 pounds up to 45 pounds and over), straight
pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual simultaneous
grasping, repeated bending, sitting, standing, pushing, crouching,
crawling, twisting, kneeling, stooping, climbing stairs and
ladders, walking, and reaching above shoulders. Ability to see,
write, read, count, identify shade of colors, perceive depth, and
hearing is needed to perform the essential functions of this
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Flushes sewer mains and checks sewer lift stations.
- Repairs and extends water lines; shovels dirt, uncovers water
mains, cuts and installs pipes, opens and closes valves, covers
pipes, and cleans area.
- Maintains utility equipment by performing routine maintenance
- Performs routine grounds keeping, painting, carpentry and
- Carries out the City's Customer Service Plan.
- Assists in maintaining good communication between staff,
visitors, and other business contacts.
- Must follow all rules of telephone courtesy in all telephone
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applicants must meet one (1) of the following 2 options to meet
the minimum qualifications for this position:
High School or G.E.D.
At least six (6) months of experience as a laborer or
At least one (1) year of experience as a laborer or maintenance
Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License*
- If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas
Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the
City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school
transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are
required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive
functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy
definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation
related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human
Resources Department at (956) 791-7482 two days prior to the
scheduled interview and/or test if applicable.
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY
COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."