Legislative Assistant, (B211225-1), R35, Council Support
Company: City of Laredo, TX
Posted on: June 12, 2021
Please note that due to the recentCOVID-19impact, there may be
delays in the selection process.
Position will be located in Washington, D.C.
Works with the City of Laredo City Manager, Mayor, Members of
the Laredo City Council and legislative staff to develop positions,
policies, and legislative objectives to promote and advocate for
legislation, grant funding and technical support that will have a
positive impact on Laredo; works to monitor and assist with any
proposed federal rules or legislation which would adversely affect
Laredo. Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the municipal, state, and federal government
procedures and protocol.
- Knowledge of laws, legal codes, precedents, regulations,
executive orders, legislative history and political process.
- Knowledge of principals, theories, and practices of the
- Knowledge of municipal programs and practices.
- Knowledge of City Charter, City Ordinances, State and Federal
Statutes, Legislative protocol, City of Laredo Procedures Manual
and Protocol Handbook.
- Knowledge of business English, spelling, and arithmetic.
- Knowledge of modern office practices, procedures, methods, and
- Knowledge in the application of basic accounting principles
necessary to accomplish financial management tasks such as
preparing budgets and monitoring program costs.
- Ability to interpret guidelines to determine present and future
projects impact on the City.
- Ability to plan and accomplish the goals of the
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working
relationships with elected officials, the general public and
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational
- Ability to use computer hardware, various software programs and
technology, including word processing and spreadsheet
- Ability to speak before public groups and make
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the
City of Laredo.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
in the English language and orally in the Spanish language
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition
sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the
- Ability to maintain a valid Driver License and a good driving
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside. Ability to operate
office equipment; Work requires light carrying and lifting (under
15 pounds up to 24 pounds), sitting, and standing. Ability to see,
write, read, count, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to
perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs tasks determined by local, state and federal
initiatives, legislation, regulatory and other government related
- Directs the City's organizational policies and objectives
involving matters of government and regulations.
- Analyzes proposed legislative and regulatory actions and
determines the potential impact to the City of Laredo.
- Monitors legislative and regulatory activities and recommends
measures to mitigate impact to the City contracts and
- Maintains a good working relationship with State and Federal
legislative contacts to influence legislation in favor of the
- Manages all City of Laredo legislative issues and coordinates
and facilitates related activities with Departments, City Council,
Executive Management, Legislative Consultants, Department
Directors, and staff.
- Assists in preparing and recommending federal and state
legislative agenda, when they may overlap,and coordinates all
legislative matters with City of Laredo legislative staff.
- Plans, coordinates, and attends special legislative events in
Washington, D.C and Austin, Texas.
- Ensures that City of Laredo activities are in compliance with
local, state, and federal rules and regulations, policies and
- Attends and participates in meetings as needed; projects a
positive and professional image of the City of Laredo.
- Works closely with federal and state legislative
- Performs other related work as required.
Bachelor's degree from an accredited* college or university.
At least one (1) year of experience in legislative affairs or
performing administrative support to elected officials, military
officers, board of directors or other high ranking executives in
the public or private sector.
- Council of Higher Education Accreditation (C.H.E.A.)
Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Driver License from state of work assignment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the
City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school
transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are
required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive
functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy
definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation
related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human
Resources Department at (956) 791-7482 two days prior to the
scheduled interview and/or test if applicable.
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY
COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."
Keywords: City of Laredo, TX, Laredo , Legislative Assistant, (B211225-1), R35, Council Support, Other , Laredo, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!