Toll Equipment Technician, (B214010-2), R36, Bridge System
Company: City of Laredo, TX
Posted on: June 13, 2021
Please note that due to the recentCOVID-19impact, there may be
delays in the selection process.
Plans, coordinates and monitors the day-to-day activities of the
installations, operations, preventive maintenance, repairs, and
testing of the bridge toll system, security surveillance system,
and test equipment; ensures training and quality inspections. Job
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the basic principles and practices of
- Knowledge of principles of electrical circuitry.
- Knowledge of testing equipment and troubleshooting
- Knowledge of personal computer hardware, networks, peripherals,
Microsoft Windows operating systems and Microsoft Applications
(Windows 7, 10 Server 2012, 2016, 2019 and Microsoft Office
- Ability to organize, install, and support the Bridge Department
computer systems, including local area networks (LANs), wide area
networks (WANs), network segments, intranets and other data
- Ability to use power tools and perform strenuous work.
- Ability to build and maintain effective working relationships
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working
relationships with other employees and respond to general public
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
in the English language and orally in the Spanish language.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition
sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside an office, computer
room, or stockroom. Work may be exposed to a variety of weather
conditions and outdoor elements, such as: excessive heat,
intermittent noise, and inclement cold weather. Work may be exposed
to a variety of environmental conditions, such as: unknown &
dangerous conditions, unusual environmental stress, dry atmosphere,
solvents, dirt, grease, oils, dust, constant noise, fumes, smoke,
gases, and slippery/uneven walking surfaces. Capable of working
closely with others or alone, working long or irregular working
hours, working shift work and/or weekends, working with protective
devices, working below ground, working on ladders or scaffolding,
working around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines
with moving parts and objects, and traveling by car or van 10% of
the time. Ability to operate a motor vehicle, office equipment, and
mechanical equipment; Work requires light to moderate carrying and
occasional lifting (under 15 pounds up to 50 pounds), straight
pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual simultaneous
grasping, repeated bending, sitting, standing, pushing, crouching,
twisting, kneeling, stooping, climbing stairs and ladders, walking,
and reaching above shoulders. Ability to see, write, read, count,
identify shade of colors, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to
perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for the maintenance and repair of all toll
collection equipment, automatic barrier gates, loop detectors,
printers, video enforcement equipment, and computer equipment at
- Responsible for the repair of circuit boards to component
- Responsible for the shipping, receiving, and inventory control
of spare parts.
- Responsible for the repair and maintenance of electrical,
electromechanical, and electronic toll collection equipment.
- Responsible for troubleshooting all overhead or underground
cables for electrical problems; should be knowledgeable in
electrical and electronic schematics.
- Monitors and maintains security video equipment on both the
toll system and the security systems; also adjusts the time in the
video system to be synchronize with the toll system.
- Monitors and maintains security operations that include the
program of access cards, query card holders, edit readers, define
time codes, reader groups, monitor points, control prints,
personnel readers, through addition, activation, modification, and
- Contacts vendors that install communication, electronics,
electrical, and related equipment.
- Conducts user training classes for new employees.
- Inspects all toll collection equipment devices, cleans,
adjusts, rewires, solders, tightens screws, bolts, clamps,
- Tests and checks master control boards and controllers; repairs
and replaces switches, fuses, electronic form boards or
- Checks and replaces treadles as needed.
- Assists in the formulation of the budget in the area of all
bridge toll equipment, repairs, installation, etc.
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Associate's degree or technical school degree from an accredited
college or university with a major in computers/electronics
technology, electronics, mechanical engineering, or a related
At least four (4) years of experience maintaining, repairing, or
replacing toll equipment, computers, electronics, video, or
Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License*
- If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas
Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the
City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school
transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are
required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive
functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy
definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation
related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human
Resources Department at (956) 791-7482 two days prior to the
scheduled interview and/or test if applicable
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY
COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."
Keywords: City of Laredo, TX, Laredo , Toll Equipment Technician, (B214010-2), R36, Bridge System, Other , Laredo, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!