Plans, directs, coordinates and monitors all activities of the
Financial Services Department. Performs complex financial work to
invest, report, and monitor the City's investment portfolios,
including compliance with arbitrage regulations, initiates bond
sales, debt management. Supervises all financial services
activities for the City, including accounting, purchasing, data
process, payroll, accounts payable, and collections.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to maintain the office and equipment clean and in good
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working
relationships with other employees and respond to general public
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the
City of Laredo.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
in the English language and orally in the Spanish languages.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition
sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside an office and may be exposed to a
variety of environmental conditions, such as: unknown & dangerous
conditions and unusual environmental stress. Capable of working
with protective devices, traveling by ca (10% of the time) or plane
(5% of the time). Ability to operate a motor vehicle and office
equipment; Work requires light to heavy carrying (under 15 pounds),
light to moderate lifting (under 24 pounds up to 44 pounds),
straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual
simultaneous grasping, sitting, standing, pushing, crouching, and
walking. Ability to see, write, read, count, and hearing is needed
to perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plans, directs, coordinates, and monitors the functions of the
department that includes planning, scheduling,and assigningwork to
subordinates; instructs employees in proper methods and procedures;
checks and approves work in progress and upon completion; makes
recommendations regarding employee job performance and conducts
performance evaluations; ensures the smooth day-to-day operations
of the department.
- Plans, develops, and monitors the departmental budget,
objectives and goals; monitors expenditures to ensure compliance
with budget limitations; monitors departments progress in achieving
goals and objectives.
- Ensures compliance with City of Laredo policies and procedures,
and local, state and federal laws governing financial
- Supervises and directs the accounting of multiple City funds,
general ledger, annual audit, state and federal audits, interim
monthly and quarterly financial statements.
- Prepares, analyzes, reviews,presents, and documents the
operating budget and capital improvement budget.
- Supervises the City's debt management, assists in preparing
official statements, bond sales and related analysis.
- Supervises and directs the City's purchasing function,
non-encumbrances and check issues.
- Directs the monthly payroll processing checksrelated to TEC,
IRS (Internal Revenue Service), TMRS (Texas Municipal Retirement
System), W-2's and other associated payroll reports.
- Conducts the bi-annual depository negotiations and contract.
Supervises the City's revenue collections.
- Conducts various special projects.
- Supervises the City's revenue collections.
- Conducts various special projects.
- Attends City Council meetings and other related committees
while being able to respond to issues, concerns and needs.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in
Accounting or Financial Administration. Master's degree is
preferred in Business or Accounting.
At least ten (10) years of experience of a progressively
responsible nature in financial administration with at least five
(5) years in a supervisory capacity at a level of an Assistant
Director or above.
Valid Licenses and Certifications
Certified Public Accountant (CPA) is preferred.
Certified Government Finance Officer is preferred.
Valid Texas Driver License*
- If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas
Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the
City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school
transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are
required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive
functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy
definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation
related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human
Resources Department at (956) 791-7482 two days prior to the
scheduled interview and/or test if applicable.
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY
COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."