Heavy Duty Truck and Trailer Technician
Company: Snider Fleet
Posted on: May 3, 2021
A Heavy Duty Truck & Trailer Technician I repairs and maintains
both diesel and gasoline powered class 5 through 8 Heavy trucks.
Also repairs and maintains the following trailers: dry van,
flatbed, dry bulk tanker, liquid tanker, reefer, pole, spool,
canvas side, auto carrier, specialty trailers, trailing equipment,
and converter gear by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities
- This position will be under direct supervision and guidance
from the service manager or a technician assigned by his
- Adheres to all policies, procedures, and values of Snider Fleet
- Have or can acquire the basic hand tools as determined by the
shop manager and be able to use the hand tools in a safe
- Reads work order, observes, and listens to supervisor
instructions to determine malfunctions or issues that must be
addressed and completed during the repair process.
- Diagnoses all heavy duty truck system components under direct
supervision, including electrical, electronics, and emissions
related fault codes etc., in order to repair or replace faulty
parts as indicated by the required testing or visual
- Be able to make basic repairs on the following components under
supervision (must be a repair audited by a supervisor or senior
- PM Inspection, Brake job, Brake chamber and slack adjuster
replacement, Wheel seal replacement and wheel end adjustment
(RP618B), Trace an open or shorted circuit.
- Willingness to learn and repair minor wreck damage with
supervision by welding, pulling, straightening, riveting, and
aligning multiple structural parts.
- Examines all system parts looking for damage, excessive wear,
loose bolts, broken welds, structural deficiencies, air leaks, oils
leaks, stuck, frozen, or rusted parts, as well as safety devices on
all types of trailers.
- Must meet federal criteria as outlined in 49CFR 396 for federal
inspections and brake inspection and adjustment, or can be trained
by OEM at request of company.
- Installs new parts such as, but not limited to: Cross members,
panels, posts, rails, door equipment, flooring, lights, wiring,
brakes, valves, airlines, wheel end components, suspension
components, landing gear, frame assembly, roof, roof bows, and
other parts under supervision. All repairs must be audited by the
supervisor or senior technician.
- Accurately complete DOT forms and all other forms of
documentation in timely fashion.
- PM inspections forms.
- Accurately fills out work order forms using three Cs insuring
all parts are included.
- Lubricates moving parts such as drive line components, hinged
parts, suspension, and steering system components.
- Work well with others and follow instructions from
- Show a willingness to advance in the mechanical field by taking
advantage of any offered training and instructional material.
- Assist with any shop workflow and branch operations.
- Demonstrate excellent attendance, show up to work on time and
in the correct uniform.
- Follow all safety rules, wear proper PPE, and demonstrate
safety conscious mindset.
Education or Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED.
- At least 1-year experience within the industry or related
- Must have a clean driving record.
Certificates and Licenses:
- Valid Class A CDL Driver's License or ability to receive within
first 6 months of employment and must be insurable to drive by
- Federal Annual and Brake Inspector certification.
- Commercial TIA certification required after six months of
- DOT Medical Certification.
- Medium/Heavy Truck ASE certifications preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to pass background check and drug screen.
- Safety conscious at all times.
- Ability to read and interpret documents, such as safety rules,
operating and maintenance instructions, and technical manuals.
- Ability to provide your own hand tools, as well as other
specialized tools to effectively perform job duties.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of
concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in
written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of
measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and
interpret bar graphs.
- Must be able to work in a results-oriented, fast-paced
- Basic computer and/or smart phone skills.
- Knowledge with diagnostic equipment (OEM, aftermarket or
applicable, as determined by manufacture).
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Knowledge of Maintenance Related Software order processing
- Demonstrate excellent customer service and communication
- Basic understanding of VMRS codes, as well as TMC recommended
- Basic understanding in Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel,
- Must have strong organizational and time management skills, as
well as close attention to detail.
This position will be based in a commercial/industrial tire
and/or mechanical truck service center at one of our Snider
Branches. The employee is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne
particles, interacts with moving mechanical parts/equipment on a
daily basis, and the noise level at the service center is usually
moderate to high.
Keywords: Snider Fleet, Laredo , Heavy Duty Truck and Trailer Technician, Other , Laredo, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!