Drafting Technician, (B212611-2), R29, Engineering
Company: City of Laredo, TX
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Please note that due to the recentCOVID-19impact, there may be
delays in the selection process.
Performs drafting support work and related duties as required.
Draws plans utilizing Auto Cad Systems, Civil 3D, and communicates
with public and other City departments providing them with
information as requested. Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the modern principles and practices of
- Knowledge of mathematics including trigonometry and plane
geometry required for basic computations of qualities or areas in
- Skills in the use of calculators and general office
- Skills in the use of drafting and printing instruments and
- Ability to operate and use the GPS unit.
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational
- Ability to take and follow directions from supervisor.
- Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned
- Ability to perform strenuous and routine work.
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working
relationships with other employees and respond to general public
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the
City of Laredo.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
in the English language and orally in the Spanish language.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition
sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside an office, library,
computer room, stockroom, or warehouse. Work may be exposed to a
variety of weather conditions and outdoor elements, such as:
excessive dampness, chill, heat, humidity, intermittent noise, and
inclement cold weather. Work may be exposed to a variety of
environmental conditions, such as: unknown & dangerous conditions,
unusual environmental stress, dry atmosphere, dust, constant noise,
and slippery/uneven walking surfaces. Capable of working closely
with others or alone, working long or irregular working hours,
working shift work and/or weekends, working with protective
devices, working around moving objects or vehicles, and traveling
by car 25% of the time. Ability to operate a motor vehicle, and
office equipment; Work requires light to moderate carrying and
lifting (under 15 pounds up to 44 pounds), straight pulling,
pulling hand over hand, simple grasping, dual simultaneous
grasping, repeated bending, sitting, standing, pushing, crouching,
crawling, twisting, kneeling, stooping, climbing stairs and
ladders, walking, and reaching above shoulders. Ability to see,
write, read, count, identify shade of colors, perceive depth, and
hearing is needed to perform the essential functions of this
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Performs drafting, computations, and design duties in the
preparation of plans for streets, sidewalks, accessible ramps,
retaining walls, Survey exhibits, metes and bounds, field data
sketches, park trails, traffic signal systems, pavement markings,
sign installations, traffic control plans, construction details,
and other technical projects.
- Prepares and maintains maps, plans, and plats.
- Operates the Auto Cad Systems, Civil 3D, Pictometry, GIS
Explorer, GIS Arc Map,Adobe Acrobat Professional software,Microsoft
Office software, etc.
- Draws layouts by freehand for small City projects.
- Performs associated duties, such as: collates books, makes
Xerox copies, gives information to the public and other City
departments, and performs other general office work.
- Operates the printer, scanner, or plotter machine to
mechanically reproduce project drawings.
- Prepares graphs, charts, and exhibits.
- Assists in maintaining good communication between staff,
visitors, and other business contacts.
- Must follow all rules of telephone courtesy in all telephone
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or G.E.D. supplemented by some continuing
education from a college or technical school in drafting.
At least two (2) years of experience in the practice of drafting
civil or related field drawings.
Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License*
- If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas
Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the
City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school
transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are
required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive
functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy
definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation
related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human
Resources Department at (956) 791-7482 two days prior to the
scheduled interview and/or test if applicable.
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY
COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."
Keywords: City of Laredo, TX, Laredo , Drafting Technician, (B212611-2), R29, Engineering, Other , Laredo, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!