Medical Office Assistant I, (Full-time/Temporary), (B218043-4), R28, COVID Public Health
Company: City of Laredo, TX
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Please note that due to the recentCOVID-19impact, there may be
delays in the selection process.
Full-time/Temporary position (up to 6 months of employment)
Provides front and back office support services for the Health
Department clinics; coordinates and prepares for any circumstances
that may arise, such as: charities, patient care assistance, lab,
and phlebotomy support; coordinates with multiple agencies, private
physicians, other mid level providers for patient, and allied
health services. Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of front and back office clinic support in primary
care (registration, billing, cash handling, medical assistance,
vital signs, lab work, and phlebotomy).
- Knowledge of good customer service practices, public relations,
and educational background in the medical office field (patient
care, medical assistance, patient follow-up, insurances,
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational
- Ability to use computer hardware, various software programs and
technologies, including word processing and spreadsheet
- Ability to speak before public groups and make
- Ability to take and follow directions from supervisor.
- Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Driver License and a good
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working
relationships with other employees and respond to general public
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the
City of Laredo.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
in the English language.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition
sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside an office. Work may be
exposed to a variety of environmental conditions such as: unknown &
dangerous conditions, unusual environmental stress, contagious
infectious disease, irritating chemicals, and dry atmosphere.
Capable of working closely with others or alone, working long or
irregular working hours, working shift work and/or weekends, and
working with protective devices, working around moving objects or
vehicles, and traveling by car 15% of the time. Ability to operate
a motor vehicle and office equipment; Work requires light to
moderate carrying and lifting (under 15 pounds up to 44 pounds and
over), straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple grasping,
dual simultaneous grasping, repeated bending, sitting, standing,
pushing, crouching, twisting,, stooping, climbing stairs, walking,
and reaching above shoulders. Ability to see, write, read, count,
identify shade of colors, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to
perform the essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides medical and patient front and back office assistance
and support (takes vital signs, does charting, may do lab
- Organizes and maintains record keeping and data collection
systems, including: patient registration cards for office files,
clinic data and encounter forms, transfer address changes, handle
medical referrals, referral communications, and identify and code
financial status on patient's records.
- Assists in patient care activities during each appointment,
including: weighing and measuring patients, assisting in exam room,
preparing charge and request slips, performing lab procedures, and
- Assists in clean-up activities in the clinic; return supplies,
washes equipment, and transports laboratory specimens and
- Assists in ordering and restocking clinic supplies.
- Reports pertinent patient observations to nurse.
- Contributes to program planning and evaluation.
- Reviews patient registration cards and charts regularly.
- Works cooperatively with sponsoring agency regarding the
financial identification and follow-up of the patients in the
- Participates in patient care conferences.
- Assists in evaluating patient care and effectiveness of program
- Requests and returns charts to medical records.
- Performs errands requested by clinic personnel.
- Assists in maintaining good communication between staff,
visitors, and other business contacts.
- Must follow all rules of telephone courtesy in all telephone
- Performs other duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or G.E.D.
At least one (1) year and six (6) months of experience in
clinical work or project experience in a hospital, public health
clinic, or physician's office or any equivalent combination of
education, training, and experience which provides the required
knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License*
- If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas
Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the
City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school
transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are
required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive
functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy
definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation
related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human
Resources Department at (956) 791-7482 two days prior to the
scheduled interview and/or test if applicable.
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY
COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."
Keywords: City of Laredo, TX, Laredo , Medical Office Assistant I, (Full-time/Temporary), (B218043-4), R28, COVID Public Health, Other , Laredo, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!