Please note that due to the recentCOVID-19impact, there may be
delays in the selection process.
Performs a variety of routine manual maintenance work of grounds
and facilities; maintains grass, trees, weeds, sidewalks, and
restrooms; ensures that the grounds are maintained in a clean,
neat, and safe manner. Job Description
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of operation and maintenance of hand and small power
- Ability to perform grounds and building maintenance activities
in a proficient and timely manner.
- Ability to take and follow directions from supervisor.
- Ability to give directions to and gain compliance from assigned
- Ability to perform strenuous and routine work.
- Ability to maintain good planning and organizational
- Ability to maintain a valid Texas Drivers License and a good
- Ability to maintain harmonious and effective working
relationships with other employees and respond to general public
- Ability to project a positive and professional image of the
City of Laredo.
- Ability to effectively communicate both orally and in writing
in the English or Spanish language.
- Ability to comply with all City of Laredo's policies and
- Ability to maintain good health and physical condition
sufficient to permit the full performance of the duties of the
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Work is performed inside and/or outside a stockroom or
warehouse. Work may be exposed to a variety of weather conditions
and outdoor elements such as: excessive dampness, chill, heat,
humidity, intermittent noise, and inclement cold weather. Work may
be exposed to a variety of environmental conditions, such as:
unknown & dangerous conditions, unusual environmental stress,
contagious infectious disease, irritating chemicals,exposure to
life-threatening situations, dry atmosphere, solvents, dirt,
grease, oils,silica, asbestos, dust, constant noise, pneumatic
vibration, fumes, smoke, gases, radiant/electrical energy, and
slippery/uneven walking surfaces. Capable of working closely with
others or alone, working long or irregular working hours, working
shift work and/or weekends, working with protective devices,
working below ground, working on ladders or scaffolding, working
around moving objects or vehicles, working around machines with
moving parts and objects, working with hands in water, and
traveling by car orvan 50% of the time. Ability to operate a motor
vehicle, office equipment, and mechanical equipment; Work requires
light to heavy carrying and lifting (under 15 pounds up to 45
pounds and over), straight pulling, pulling hand over hand, simple
grasping, dual simultaneous grasping, repeated bending, sitting,
standing, pushing, crouching, crawling, twisting, kneeling,
stooping, climbing stairs and ladders, walking, and reaching above
shoulders. Ability to see, write, read, count, identify shade of
colors, perceive depth, and hearing is needed to perform the
essential functions of this job.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Plants, waters, fertilizes, edges, and cuts grass; rakes
leaves; trims and prunes trees and hedges; trims, pulls, and sprays
weeds; ensures grounds have neat and pleasant appearance.
- Checks grounds for vandalism and damages; erases or paints over
graffiti on walls; reports the same to supervisor in a timely
- Picks-up papers, trash, and other debris; puts the same in
plastic bags; sweeps sidewalks.
- Performs minor carpentry work; cleans air-conditioner filters;
replaces light bulbs in buildings; performs minor paint jobs.
- Hoes and digs up tree roots; fills and digs holes; spreads
- Drives tractor mower and trucks to haul debris; maintains City
vehicles including checking oil, gas and water levels.
- Decides on equipment needed to perform assigned tasks; picks-up
equipment and supplies from the warehouse and returns equipment at
the end of each day.
- Assists in performing minor plumbing repairs such as installing
the sprinkler systems; digs trench and makes adjustments to the
pipe and pipe-fitting; assists in repairing sinks, toilets, and
faucets in buildings.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records regarding work
- Assists in maintaining good communication between staff,
visitors, and other business contacts.
- Must follow all rules of telephone courtesy in all telephone
- Will be required to drive a City vehicle for City business
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
At least six (6) months ofexperience performing grounds and/or
building maintenance work.
Valid Licenses and Certifications
Valid Texas Driver License*
- If applicant holds an out-of-state license, a State of Texas
Driver License must be obtained prior to employment.
As part of the minimum requirements for all positions with the
City of Laredo, a thorough background check and certified school
transcripts will be required from all applicants who are offered
Effective February 24, 1997, all selected applicants are
required to undergo a drug and alcohol test prior to
Effective January 7, 2008, all persons in safety-sensitive
functions/positions, as per City of Laredo Drug and Alcohol Policy
definition, shall be subject to random drug and alcohol
A person with a disability who needs a reasonable accommodation
related to a selection process is requested to contact the Human
Resources Department at (956) 791-7482 two days prior to the
scheduled interview and/or test if applicable.
"AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER, THE CITY
COMPLIES WITH THE AMERICAN WITH DISABILITIES ACT."