Company: The GEO Group, Inc.
Posted on: November 14, 2021
Facility: RIO GRANDE PROCESSING CENTERCompensation Base:
$94,494.00Compensation Bonus (if applicable): Equal Opportunity
Employer.SummarySupervises and evaluates the performance of nursing
and clerical staff. Evaluates and provides comprehensive nursing
care in a correctional setting while observing and maintaining the
requirements of security.Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Maintains a good working relationship with correctional
personnel, nursing staff, contract providers, and outside provider
- Utilizes established corporate and correctional policies and
procedures in making decisions.
- Responsible for staff scheduling and supervision
- Assisting management in recruiting, orienting, supervising and
evaluating the performance of nursing and clerical staff.
- Directs the work of other nursing and clerical staff.
- This includes the selection, hiring, evaluating job
performance, employee training/development, promoting and any
disciplinary action, including terminationStaff Scheduling:
- Ensures adequate coverage on all shifts.
- Fills in as needed during periods of short staffing
- Monitors call-ins and use of overtime.
- Monitors staff compliance with facility policies and unit
directives by counseling employees who violate policies established
by the company or the facility, after consultation with
- Ensures the proper flow of relevant information (policies,
procedures, in-service, problems, etc.) to supervisor and
- Monitors and ensures strict staff compliance with all
applicable pharmacy laws.
- Organizes monthly in-service education. Ensures that staff
receives in-service as required.
- Arranges for staff participation in off-facility workshops for
CEUs and current nursing practice.
- Maintains current licensure on all staff requiring such
- Organizes daily activities and ensures adequate staffing for
these activities. Maintains shift assignments.
- Reports any staff problems to management on a regular
- Ensures adequate supplies and pharmaceuticals to meet the needs
of the detainee/inmate population. Reports any over-usage, vendor
problems, needs, recommendations and budgetary concerns to
- Ensures that detainees/inmates arriving at the facility are
adequately oriented to services available and procedure for
obtaining medical services.
- Ensures that all detainees/inmates assigned to work as medical
orderlies are trained in the handling of contaminated waste and
proper cleaning of contaminated surfaces. Monitors their compliance
- Performs random audits of medical records, logs, sharps,
narcotic counts, outside referrals and sick call, etc. Counsel
employees or provide in-service for noted errors. All findings
shall be submitted to the management for review and
- Participates in quality assurance activities. Makes
recommendations for monitoring needs and plans activities for
correcting deficiencies. Reports problem areas in writing to
- Monitors the assignments, review of records, and care plans of
the chronic disease clinics ensuring follow through per policies
- Reviews activities of infection control nurse and makes
recommendations for containment of infections.
- Assists management in monitoring environmental sanitation,
safety and health related issues by performing inspections.
Generates recommendations based on inspections and review of other
inspections to management for further management
- Responds to informal grievances from inmates to management's
designee. Reports any grievance with potential liability to the
management for his/her information and consideration of
- Monitors care of serious medical conditions with the potential
for life threatening or liability issues for appropriate
- Assumes on-call status for staff problems. Assumes on-call
status in absence of direct management.
- Performs other duties as assigned. Job Requirements:Minimum
- Associate's or Bachelor's degree from a NLN (National League of
Nurses) approved program; graduate of an accredited school of
nursing required. Must have a current, unrestricted license to
practice as Registered Nurse in the state the facility is located.
Maintains a current copy of license on file at the facility at all
- Two (2) years of direct work experience preferred.
- Supervisory experience and competence in performance of the
following services: crisis intervention, medical emergencies,
physical assessment, medical nursing care, and psychiatric nursing
- Must have the ability to work without direct, immediate
supervision in performing nursing diagnosis, and be able provide
appropriate follow through treatment.
Keywords: The GEO Group, Inc., Laredo , Nursing Supervisor, Healthcare , Laredo, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!